Please note draft status: feedback welcome as comments – final version liable to change
Overall Timeline of Workpackages:
“*”=tangible product delivered.
Workpackage 1: Oversight of signposting landscape study and technical exemplars
Responsible: Project Manager
● Oversight of budget, timelines and deliverables from the other team members and their workpackages.
● Liaison with JISC Executive on the presentation and overall delivery of this work to the sector based on an agile and adaptive approach (as things will change that this plan will not encompass!).
● Liaison with JISC Collections on their work in eBook usage and OAOPEN eBook business models.
● Final structure of signpost (aka table of contents) to all of the outputs from the various workpackages, including tangible products (e.g. reports, prototypes) and intangible products (discussions, skills learned) and other exemplars that arise outside of the project and in the community that are related and worth noting.
● Project Posts (short paragraph style updates) on the progress of the project (weekly?). These posts should be used to collect the intangible products (discussion, skills, etc) that the various team members are producing as part of their workpackages, as well as the changes that occur to the plan of the project as it progresses.
● Final website and sign-post (table of contents) of all the deliverables from all the workpackages in the project.
Workpackage 2: Technical Landscape Exemplars and Recommendations
Responsible: Open Authoring and Publishing Technical Expert
● Research into current overall technical landscape of digital monograph publishing in Higher Education and Further Education in both the UK and internationally.
● Collection of technical exemplar use cases of digital monograph publishing both in the Academic Sector and Other sectors (commercial, business, government, military, etc).
● A technical landscape paper on digital monographs outlining both exemplar use cases from around the world and recommendations for how JISC could influence the technical landscape so as to support UK HE/FE authors in publishing more of their content as digital monographs.
● Liaison with the project manager to assure deliverable is meeting overall context of work the project is attempting to achieve.
Previous examples of landscaping papers and guidance websites can be found here**:
Workpackage 3: Technical prototype and exemplar for author wordprocessing environment
Responsible: Technical wordprocessing and authoring tool expert.
● Prototype development of technical protoype for authoring digital monograph in a traditional wordprocessing environment (Word)
● Prototype development of a technical prototype for authoring digital monographs in a non-traditional wordprocessing environment, e.g. Blogs or GoogleDocs
● Liaison with the independent Author perspective expert for the purposes of allowing commentary and guidance.
● Liaison with the project manager to assure deliverable are meeting the overall context the project is attempting to achieve.
● Prototype 1 exemplar of traditional wordprocessing environment (Microsoft and Open Office Word)
● Prototype 2 exemplar of non-traditional wordprocessing environment (blogs, googleDocs)
● Liaise with UK Author User
Workpackage 4: Independent commentary by an Active author on the technical implications that the project discovers.
Responsible: Independent authoring user perspective
● Liaise with Project Manager (WP1) re overall
● Liaise with Landscape Exemplars and comment upon them and the implications for authors
● Liaise with Technical prototype (WP3) and comment upon their findings and implications for authors
● Liaise with device technical specification expert and
● Active participation and communication with the other workpackages and their decision making process per end user perspective.
● Blog posts commenting on each of the workpackages outputs and their findings and outputs.
● Blog posts commenting on various author perspectives / demographics (e.g. first time doctoral dissertation theses authors, retired academic authors, etc.)
Workpackage 5: Update of reader device types on wikipedia pages including specifications and references to project findings.
Responsible: Device Technical Specifications Expert
● Investigation into the various device types including specifications and applicability of use to digital monographs.
● Liaise with wikipedia editor on acceptable process for updating wikipedia pages to assure longevity of reference and specification formats.
● Liaise with the project manager re overall aim of project and what references should be made to project outputs and finding within Wikipedia articles.
● Updating of wikipedia pages with specifications and applicability, specifications and usability of devices for academic digital monographs.
● References within wikipedia pages pointing back to the outputs of the project
● List of updated Wikipedia pages for use and reference by the project.